Re[2]: Carb damper oil

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re[2]: Carb damper oil
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:12:20 -0400
Cliff,

Strange that you'd see differences in deceleration since the "damper is
single-acting, ie it is effective only for upward movement of the oil column in
which it is immersed, the air valve (piston) falling immediately when the
throttle is closed, preventing an over-weak mixture being produce on
deceleration."  (Haynes ZS manual).

Also strange that you'd see differences in start-up (cold running) since the
dampers supposedly are for smoothing acceleration.

I wonder if your other carburetor problems created some of your test results.
The excess burbling you are getting on deceleration sounds like a rich mixture
problem, which could be caused by the piston (air valve) that you indicated sits
lower in the chamber under load (this would create a faster air flow over the
bridge (compared to the other carb) and suck more fuel into the mixing chamber
of that carburetor).  That could result in excess fuel when you decelerate and
thus the burbling.  I've always kind of liked the burbling sound I get on
deceleration..at least some burbling...so maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Bud 71TR6 CC57365

I agree with Art (know.)  Over the last two weeks I have used the
following:

1) ATF (since spring) - stumbled a lot when cold, quick acceleration
and deceleration, very peppy when hot

2) 10W-30 (one week) - stumbled less when cold but still stumbled,
slower acceleration than ATF, smoother running overall, burbles when
decelerating

3) 3in1 (blue) equivalent to 20W - best of the lot (IMHO).  Less stumbling
when cold, in fact much less, quicker acceleration than 10W-30, smoother
running than ATF, some burbling.

I think I'll stick with 20W  - smoother running and better when cold than
ATF, at the cost of some burbling exhaust when decelerating.

It was in the course of these experiments that I discovered the other
two issues with my carbs (pistons rising differently, fuel levels different
between front and back) the resolution of which will be the subject
of a different e-mail.