Re: Carb damper oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Carb damper oil
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:12:45 -0400
I agree with Art (know.)  Over the last two weeks I have used the
following:

1) ATF (since spring) - stumbled a lot when cold, quick acceleration
and deceleration, very peppy when hot

2) 10W-30 (one week) - stumbled less when cold but still stumbled,
slower acceleration than ATF, smoother running overall, burbles when
decelerating

3) 3in1 (blue) equivalent to 20W - best of the lot (IMHO).  Less stumbling
when cold, in fact much less, quicker acceleration than 10W-30, smoother
running than ATF, some burbling.

I think I'll stick with 20W  - smoother running and better when cold than
ATF, at the cost of some burbling exhaust when decelerating.

It was in the course of these experiments that I discovered the other
two issues with my carbs (pistons rising differently, fuel levels different
between front and back) the resolution of which will be the subject
of a different e-mail.

At 03:06 PM 9/16/98 EDT, ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

>Workshop Manual  2nd Edition.  Issued by the Service Division, Standard -
>Triumph Sales Ltd.  Coventry, England.  I can't find a date but since it has
>the TR4A supplement incorporated into it - I would imagine it was printed
>after 1965.
>
>It says on page 1-303. (This is for SU's.)
>
>"... and replenish the dashpots with thin engine oil, grade SAE 20 (but no
>thicker than SAE 30)..."    AND
>
>on p.1-307 (for Zenith Strombergs) it says:
>
>" The rod is filled with SAE20 oil to within a 1/4" of the end of the rod in
>which the damper operates..."
>
>That's it.  I have followed this for 34 years and have encountered no
problems
>such as those discussed on the list.  What more can I say?
>
>BTW - Methinks we make too big a deal about this.  Since the purpose is to
>dampen (that's why it is called a "damper") --- the viscosity of the fluid
>will affect the dampening action.  The designers built the carbs to operate
>with the viscosity named above.  As always - do as you like but I'd have to
>see some solid evidence regarding peformance to change to some other
>viscosity.   Cheers.
>
>Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L