Re: windscreen washer TR-3A

To: jleavitt@medai.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: windscreen washer TR-3A
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:30:07
Jim Leavitt asked:

>My '59 TR-3A has a "windscreen washer" apparatus that operates by means of a
>bulb-like object on the instrument panel.  The driver would simply apply
>pressure to the bulb to cause fluid to be dispatched to the windscreen.  By
>modern standards it is extremely primitive, which means it seems to be
>perfectly appropriate for a vintage Triumph.  My question to the list is
>whether this is likely to be an original item, a dealer added item, or some
>sort of blue light special after-market item.

My '59 TR-3A had what sounds like the same item installed on it when
I bought it.  It looked so cheesy that, at the time, I assumed that it
was an aftermarket part, especially since it also had a cheesy looking
cigarette lighter installed in the dash. (It also has the optional
ashtray under the dash).  After taking it off, and losing or throwing
away the pieces, I have discovered that the washer was an option and
have been slowly collecting the parts to re-install it.  Oh well.  I
don't know if it was a factory or deal installed option, however.  Anyone
know about the cigarette lighter?

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu