RE: TR headlights

To: "'Linda Long (IM)'" <LLong@Kollmorgen.com>
Subject: RE: TR headlights
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:59:25 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Tom,

As stated by others, the lights you refer to are Xenon gas discharge. They
are available in North America on high end models from MB, BMW and Porsche.
Probably made by Hella. A single replacement light for a BMW 750iL is about
$1200 (Canadian). These lights require different wiring than "conventional"
lights, they operate at much higher voltages. The light you see from them
appears blue in color because our normal lights are so yellow. As you said,
the light from the new lights is actually much whiter than ours nonetheless
it seems blue.

These are not likely feasible for our cars. What is feasible is the fitting
of Euro spec H4 lights instead of the anemic 9004 lights North American
regulators seem to mandate. Check out
<http://www.team.net/sol/tech/light-up.html> for some info on this. As an
aside, my TR6 came with Bosch H4 lights seemingly stock. Do any others with
original late TR6s have H4 lights? I'm curious... (I have Hellas now). BTW,
7" round H4 lights are fairly inexpensive.

If you install H4 lights, you can then search for the Xenon bulbs to see if
they will give you the lighting you want. Look at
<http://www.hella.co.nz/xenon.htm> for a starting point.

A third alternative (and one to be avoided like disease IMO) is the fitting
of blue-tinted bulbs to regular lights to create the illusion of xenon
lights. You will likely see this on all sorts of Hondas and other such cars
(you know... the ones with smoked glass and the big fat 4" exhaust tips).

Just my $.02

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---