RE: Winter Storage / Oil Change again in the Spring?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Winter Storage / Oil Change again in the Spring?
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:56:17 +0100

> ----------

        <Gear oil is also oil - with additives. What your are saying would
that
> you must change your gearbox and differential oils after winter storage
> too? They are, for all practical purposes, as much exposed to the outside
> atmosphere as the innards of a stationary engine. >

Didn't say this is not oil. The point is that you don't need additives in
gear oil, as you will see when you look at axles that are sealed ( in the
sense that there is no drain plug) for life. Additives serve no use in gear
oil. you are using the same argument with the wrong conclusion.

        <Of course you don't. You might want to change your gearbox oil
every five
> years or so, just to be on the safe side. Manufacturers of most new cars
> assume that diffenential and gear oil lasts for the expected life cycle
> of the car, which is at least 10 years.
> Engine oil, inherently, lasts just as long as do a gear oil. Indeed, many
> modern cars uses an engine oil for the gearbox.<

        For different reasons. The reasons are that many gearboxes no longer
have srtaight cut gears etc.

        <The reason you have to change engine oil so often compared to
gearbox
> oil, is that the combustion process produces many substances that
> contaminates it, and that it is subject to being broken down by elevated
> temperatures. None of that occurs during winter storage. >

        True, but the as I said it still remains the fact that oil oxidises
and the chains get broken up.

> > Plus as with the additives, they
> > will disolve the sludge over the winter/storage time and will be loaded
> with
> > that crap.
>
> They will do no such thing. On a stationary, cold engine, the detergent
> additives have no effect worth speaking of.
>
> > Should you run the engine now for a longer period, your filter
> > will quickly soot up.
>
> No.>

        I'm not argue any of that as I don't have enough founded knowledge
to counter it.

Gernot