Re: Replacing TR3 Floors, Advice requested

To: Gbouff@aol.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Replacing TR3 Floors, Advice requested
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 03:04:55 GMT
Gary writes...

>I have finally finished most of the summer "honey do" projects.  Now I can get
>back into my TR3 project.  The next phase is replacing the floors.
>I am planning on cutting out the old floors while leaving a lip to position
>and weld the new floor.  As far as welding, I saw another TR3 on which the
>owner drilled 3/8" holes every 1.5" on the floor flange and welded the hole
>edges to the body, much like spot welding.  It was done very neatly and
>appeared to be quite strong.  Has anyone ever done this, or is this overkill?

This is fine.  They call this technique "plug welding" and it's the
only way you can go about it with a mig.  A real spot weld is a
resistance weld, not an arc weld like a MIG.  It's a nicer looking
weld in that it requires no finish grinding but the mechanical
strength is the same.

Since the spot welder uses a set of "tongs" that must reach both sides
of the panel,  you're more limited in where you can use it.  Buy a mig
welder first and consider a spot welder if you think you'll be doing a
LOT of this sort of thing.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits