Re: Hello

To: richard jackson <richard.jackson@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Hello
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 09:54:49 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, richard jackson wrote:

        *koff*, *koff*...

        Is he pulling our (collective) legs???:)

        Richard, From what little I know about Spits in general...
        (aluminum skin, special body work--GT6 like top and faired in
        headlights) If this ain't a "December Fools" thingie, it sounds
        like you've got "the real McGuffin"... VERY lucky for you!

        I think you should check your "numbers" and call someone in the
        BMHT Immmediatedly.

> Afternoon everyone,
>
>   Having recently joined the list(today) I'm just wondering if anyone
> can tell more about a car I have acquired, I found the car in a very
> sorry state in a barn in France(in the La Sarthe region), the farmer I
> bought it from was trying to convince me that it once raced at Le Mans
> around 1965(yeah, as if!!), it's an appox 1965 Spit, but the body work
> all appears to be made from aluminium, the bonnet has been changed to a
> strange looking one with faired in headlamps, also the bumpers are all
> missing and it is fitted with a strange set of alloy wheels, the major
> body change though is a fast back style roof that has been fitted aswell
> as racing roundels as if numbers had at one time been fitted.
> Unfortunately the rear corner has recieved a bit of a knock at some time
> and has been crudely repaired.
>   Inside there isn't a great deal left of the original interior and the
> gearbox cover is missing, now, the gearbox doesn't resemble a
> traditional Spit gearbox, but looks more like a TR type box.  OK, now
> onto the engine, this is a weird one, the car has Webbers fitted,
> although I don't think it is to a Triumph cylinder head, as instead
> having 5 ports it has 8, and looks as though it is made from a type of
> alloy???
>
> Now have I just wasted 500 quid on some French farmers bas*ard mobile,
> or do I now own a piece of automotive history?
>
> Regards.
>
> Rich

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois