Re: TR4 Made By Honda?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Made By Honda?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:39:10 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
"Kai M. Radicke" wrote:

> Don't tell me that the name Honda doesn't evoke images of your daily commute
> to work or the grocery store parking lot, or perhaps the used car lot in
> your town.  Honda may participate in motor sports, but that again doesn't
> make their corporate appearance any more sportier.

Well, Triumph made "Estates." Nothing more matronly than a station
wagon, hmmm?

> Honda is still a player in F1, with it's SuperTec engine...  then agian they
> make lawn mower engines also.

And, from everyone I've known that's had one, it's one hell of a
lawnmower engine.

And, as far as F1 goes, I don't think Triumph ever had the economic
wherewithal to mount a F1 campaign, nor was that the sort of market it
was trying to attract, hence its support for SCCA racing in the states,
and pro rallying in Europe. Honda, since the `60s, has always seen F1 as
a world-wide, truly international event which would give Honda the kind
of exposure it desired for its vaunted durability, and they did learn
from racing. While the cars may seem pedestrian, in many ways, they run
and run and run, like a lot of Japanese cars produced in the `80s.

> As for Triumph, well the word Triumph just brings to mind winning,
> overcoming, beating... etc.  Coupled with the reputation it's sportscars
> have and hold, well the Triumph name is truely one that stands for sports
> car.
>
> Now, if anyone wants to see a real sports car. (or tourer in some of your
> minds); I suggest a look at the new BMW Z9 concept car.  And unlike the
> S2000, the Z9 makes some incredible torque (most likely low in the rev
> range), due to it's 3.9L diesel engine.  The styling is also very sleek and
> handsome.

Well, like most manufacturers today, styling at Honda has embraced the
"jelly bean" concept, and as such, the S2000 looks like a lot of other
cars, and a quick overview suggests that its roots may be in the Del
Sol. If it's priced close to the Miata, I wonder how much of Miata sales
it will take?

Cheers.