RE: Englands' Best 'No-Lead' Additives

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Englands' Best 'No-Lead' Additives
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:54:46 +0100
>===== Original Message From CarlSereda@aol.com =====
>Hi List,
>Here is an interesting article out of England (Triumph Club) regarding the
>best product to use in their classic cars as their country goes to unleaded
>gas by year 2000.
>
>   PRESS RELEASE FROM THE FEDERATION OF BRITISH HISTORIC VEHICLE CLUBS
>   issued 20 March 1999
>

>   FBHVC ENDORSES LEAD SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS
>   Conference looks to the future of Historic Motoring
>
>Historic vehicle enthusiasts worried that the disappearance of leaded petrol
>at the end of this year could curtail the use of their cherished cars, motor
>cycles and historic commercial vehicles were heartened by the announcement
>that the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBH VC) is endorsing
>four lead substitute products as adequate for all normal driving.
>
>The announcement, made at the FBHVC's annual conference at the Heritage
>Motoring Centre, Gaydon, Warwickshire, marks the completion of an extensive
>programme of testing at the Motor Industry Research Association (MIRA).  This
>was intended to measure the resistance to valve seat recession afforded by
>commercially available lead substitutes, for which no standard test existed,
>despite the great claims made for these products by their manufacturers.
>
>The FBHVC realised early on the effect that the withdrawal of leaded petrol
>would have on the entire historic vehicle movement, and - in the absence of
>any initiative from Government or national standards institutions anywhere in
>Europe - commissioned an extensive programme of testing for valve seat
>recession by MIRA.
>
>Using a Rover A-Series engine - a power unit particularly prone to valve seat
>recession - and a set of new cylinder heads and valves generously donated by
>the Rover Group, twelve lead substitute products each underwent identical
>70-hour test programmes at MIRA, including 20 hours' accelerated wear testing
>at full throttle and full load.  For reference purposes, tests were also made
>using leaded, unleaded and low-lead petrol.
>
>At the end of some 1 000 hours' testing, independently reviewed by a
>technical assessor representing the RAC, four products were found to have
>passed the demanding tests.  These are:
>
>   * Millers VSP-Plus
>   * Red Line Lead Substitute
>   * Superblend l2/Zero Lead 2000
>   * Valvemaster
>
>Each is now entitled - provided that it is marketed in the exact form in
>which it was tested - to carry the FBHVC endorsement.
>
>However lan Edmunds who heads the FBHVC's Fuels sub-committee, emphasises
>that historic vehicle owners should not mix lead substitutes but should
>choose the product which most closely suits their requirements and stick to
>it.
>
>In this context, Federation President Lord Montagu of Beaulieu told delegates
> [...]

There was an article in TR action (that I can't find) that actually stated the
results, showing that one of the additives were clearly better than the others
though the others passed the test as well. If anybody has the info, could they
please make them publish.

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280
Website http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1048