Re: Englands' Best 'No-Lead' Additives

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Englands' Best 'No-Lead' Additives
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:42:20 -0500
At 07:42 AM 10/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>As I said, most 'octane improvers' don't work worth beans. And, an ounce
>of Outlaw Racing formula (MMT based) gives more octane increase for less
>money, even if you can buy Toluene for $2.50/gallon.
>
>Makes sense if you think about it.  The company that makes MMT spent a
>lot of time and effort understanding how tetraethyl lead works to
>increase octane and prevent valve seat recession, and came up with a
>compound that works the same way but does not contain lead.

You're right, MMT does work much better as octane booster than toluene and
it does prevent valve seat recession. It is also quite unpopular with many
environmental groups.

>If they hadn't come up with something that works noticeably better than
paint thinner, they wouldn't bother marketing it.

Of course they would- if there was a profit to be made. They're still
marketing "Slick 50", and it can do more harm than good, just ask the
Federal Trade Commission. ;{)

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com