Re: * Track Your Triumph ?*

To: "Brazinski, Wayne" <Wayne_Brazinski@compuware.com>, Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: * Track Your Triumph ?*
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 23:44:01 +0100
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date sent:              Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:01:02 -0500 ()
From:                   Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
To:                     "Brazinski, Wayne" <Wayne_Brazinski@compuware.com>
Copies to:              "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Send reply to:          Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Brazinski, Wayne wrote:

> ...I'm trying to build a nice history for my car (1960 TR3A, but
> registered as 1963!!!) I was hoping to get some information above and beyond
> the BMHT certificate.  Can anyone provide any pointers for the following?
>
> 1) How would I go about finding the old Midwest Triumph Site, or any records
> they may have had?  I wonder if it became another dealer who *might* still
> have records?

Midwest was a regional distributor, not a dealer. I don't know if they
might still exist in some form or other, but I suspect not.

> 2) Are there any build records that are more in-depth than BMHT?  For
> example - my cert says the car had Disc Wheels.  Does this mean Disc Brakes,
> or solid wheels?  Mine now has spokes which I know was an option for North
> America (Piggott)?  How do I know if it had the sidecurtains etc.?

BMIHT holds "the" factory records for Triumph automobiles, so what records
they use to produce the certificate you received are as comprehensive as
it gets. Yes, disc refers to the "solid" road wheel; all TR3As had front
disc brakes. And all would have had sidecurtains; the certificate would
tell what color they were, as I recall.

> 3) Is it possible to approach the DMV for a list of all previous owners?

It's possible but, if Illinois is anything like New York, they don't
maintain records anywhere near that old.

What is the commission number of your car (curious, as I have a couple of
1960 TR3As)?

--Andy

Hello Wayne,Andy,
As you are on the subject allow me to jump in with a few questions
in the same dirtection,
I recently purchased a 60 TR3A from a fellow lister and I was very
puzzled about the build date compared to registration date.
The commission nr is TS 71101L and according to Bill Piggot who
was digging in the Standard Register the car was produced on
friday, 18th March 1960 and delivered to Portland USA.
The vehicle ID number for the States is STC62TS71101L and
according it should have been registered for the first time in 62
I met Bill not a long time ago and he had no explanation for that,
although he thought that during this period some cars remained
unsold for some time but never for 2 years. The documention I
received with the car also says that first registration was in
California. Andy can you throw some light and that puzzle.

Best regards
Jean R , Belgium