I've had an idea!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: I've had an idea!
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:16:00 EST
Cc: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, Spitlist@gte.net
Listers,

I have had an idea, and have been discussing it with Andy Mace & Joe (Fluif)
Curry...

So now we are looking for someone, both competent, and willing to carry it
out...

We are looking for someone who should be an active lister.
Someone dedicated to Triumph cars, and to all those other fine folk out there
who are also dedicated to Triumphs. he/she should have time on their hands,
not endless amounts! but more than those of us who are still shall we say, in
full-time employment. They should perhaps be good with handling both images
and computers.

If those of you, if any! ;-) interested parties, apply to me & Andy Mace &
Joe Curry, (and for that matter, the list as a whole), with the reasons you
think you would be the ideal person to handle such a task, we will be happy
to consider your application.

However, if I am approaching this in completely the wrong way, just say so.
Perhaps the list isn't yet ready for my idea...we shall see.
Your thoughts are awaited:

Here follows a copy of the basis of my idea and the discussion that followed
between myself, Andy and Joe...

Leon,
I think you have a "smashing" idea. I think it would be a very popular
site indeed.  However, as with you I too am so busy with work and the
database upkeep that I wouldn't be able yo take on the added
responsibility and do it justice.

I would suggest broadcasting the idea to the lists and ask who would
take on such an awesome responsibility.  I bet you will get several
takers and then you will have to figure out who to give it to without
hurting the others' feelings!

Regards,
Joe

GuyotLeonF@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Howz Tricks?
>
> I was musing to myself just the other nite, and...
>
> I realised that, various folk on the list have contributed to your excellent
> Spitfire list,
> and various others have contributed to the GT6 list...
>
> and obviously still others have saved all the digests for posterity...
>
> but no-one yet has (apparently) thought of maintaining an archive of
pictures of listers
> with their
> Triumph cars...and I got to thinking how difficult would this be ?
>
> One person could for instance, ask listers to forward pictures of them with
> their
> pride(s) and joys to them to assimilate, say jpg's of between 150 - 300 Kb,
> in
> order to reduce storage space whilst maintaining quality...and,
> assuming that listers would require access, also reduce download times.
>
> Andy Mace thought that  they could be kept to a resolution of about 72dpi,
> which
> would likely make the average .jpg about 25-40K in size; not reproduction
> quality in print, but certainly acceptable for Web viewing and, therefore,
> storage limitations.
>
> (I would prefer a better quality myself, but appreciate the limitations,
> after all
> "a man's gotta know his limitations"
>
> Andy pointed me to:
>
> the "Spitfire List Rogues Gallery" at
> <http://www.lava.net/~dgates/rogues/>. This has some elements of what
> you' are suggesting, but you're right; space limitations are the biggest
> problem. One way to avoid that might be to list names and have "thumbnail"
> images of cars. Then those "thumbnails" could be themselves links to
> larger images, perhaps on the owner's own website. Of course, maintaining
> the links would be an unbelievably challenging chore at times (that sort
> of thing is the sort of thing I sometimes do here at work, so I well know
> the importance and drudgery of constanting checking links).
>
> As far as additional space is concerned, there are lots of places that
> have all kinds of free web page space available: fortunecity.com,
> xoom.com, etc., etc. Stuff can always be put there and linked to them from
> someones' own pages. Check out Clark Nicholls home page(s)
> <http://hometown.aol.com/cwnicholls/index.html> to see how he's done it.
>
> An ambitious project, to be sure, but one with some potential!

> ********
> Personally, I think this idea of mine has some merits, especially
considering
> the way the newsgroup is progressing...the VTR pictures proved very popular,
> I believe...but of course many listers, especially those of us on the
> right-hand side of the pond, couldn't get our cars to VTR...
>
> I would love to do it myself, but have considerable problems with time at
the
> moment,
> [...]
So, it's over to the list!