Re: I've had an idea!

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: I've had an idea!
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 19:33:24 EST
Cc: Spitlist@gte.net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

<< Subj:     Re: I've had an idea!
 Date:  14/11/99 00:22:12 GMT Standard Time
 From:  randallyoung@earthlink.net (Randall)
 To:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com
 CC:    spitlist@gte.net (Joe Curry), amace@unix2.nysed.gov (Andy Mace)

 Léon :

 Well, my car and I aren't very photogenic, so I probably won't be
 participating <g>

 However, some thoughts :

 My preference would be to not use the 'free' web space.  I find their
 ads annoying, and I believe you will quickly encounter space limit
 problems.  I archived over 100 bio's, probably missed a few, and I have
 reason to believe the turnout was rather poor.  Seems to me with only a
 medium turnout, and one 72 dpi JPG/car, you will quickly need 10-20 Mb,
 which is more than most 'free' services will allow.  Plus, it would be
 nice to allow multiple jpegs, for "before and after" shots, etc.

 If you ask now, I'll bet MJB will give you space on the new Team.Net web
 server ...

 Another thing that would be nice, once you have enough room, is to offer
 both a 'thumbnail' (ie reduced size, reduced resolution, high
 compression image) and a larger, higher resolution image for those who
 select it.

 If some smart person would create some CGI to allow web access to a FTP
 site (MJB again ?), perhaps several people could share the burden of
 uploading jpegs.  Once the initial 'burst' is over, it won't be all that
 time consuming anyway (assuming a fast Inet connection).  The CGI
 scripts can basically eliminate the tedium of re-doing a web page every
 time someone adds a jpeg.

 Although I do work for a living, I would be willing to help with the
 thumbnail creation and uploading under these conditions.

 Randall

Thank you for the input Randall.
I think that you may be surprised how interested folk are in seeing you and
your car, however you may regard 'your' appearance ;->
I do not believe that anyone should ever be 'ashamed' or otherwise
'embarrassed' by the appearance of their Triumph.
In our club we try our best to encourage one and all to participate in events
however their car may appear!

I agree with your thoughts about the free web space, but that is already
looking to be 'not a problem', thanks to some kind offers made.

If you don't mind, I will copy your mail to the Triumph List as a whole, to
see what everyone else thinks of your input, which I personally think is very
valid.

Regards
Léon