RE: Colortune

To: <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Subject: RE: Colortune
From: "Brent Smith" <bsmith@inetnow.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:57:43 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Anyone had any experience with using a colortune for carb adjustment?  I'm
>considering buying one, but have seen emails with pros and cons.  Any
actual
>experience info would be appreciated.  I've previously just used the normal
>"lift the piston" method.  Is colortune easier and more accurate?

Ken,

I have a Colortune and have used it quite a bit, along with the Unisyn, on
my TR3A.  I think it is useful to see the flame color as you make mixture
changes; you know you are at least in the right neighborhood.  However, I
still end up using the "lift the piston" method to make final adjustments.
The Unisyn, however, I would not do without; I used to use the old "rubber
hose" method to listen to the air inrush in order to synchonize the two
carbs; the Unisyn is infinitely better.  By the way, I use the "lift the
piston" a little differently; I find that if you follow the directions
exactly, then the mixture is too rich (a la Colortune); I adust the mixture
so that the RPM's drop and stay lower (rather than recover), but the car
doesn't stall.  My 1960 TR3A runs perfectly--lots of power, too.

Brent Smith
Atlanta, GA

1960 TR3A
1987 XJ6 SIII