Re: RE; Metric vs. English

To: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: RE; Metric vs. English
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:55:12 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "105671.471@compuserve.com" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Tony Rhodes wrote:

> Well, I am not at all sure the US will be left behind because
> we do not switch to metric.  Metric vs. English measurement
> as a meaningless distinction.  The only purpose it does serve
> is for standardization (not a bad goal).
>
> It is cheaper to use English wrenches since they are
> usually graded in 1/16", so you would need only 16 of them
> to make a pretty complete set.  Metric wrenches are every millimeter,
> and would require 25 of them to cover the same size range.  The
> cost of a wrench set is about 156% higher, and they work
> no better!!

Last I checked, a wrench set of Metric wrenches (11 pcs) cost exactly the
same as a set of SAE onces (also 11 pcs)

When was the last time you used a 1/16" (or 1 mm!) wrench, anyway?

> The Farenheit temp scale is about twice as accurate when used
> in full degrees (such as in the weather report).  How am I MORE informed
> if I use Celsius??

You aren't any more informed by using Celcius.  But it's pretty easy once
you make the switch.

20 degrees C is room temperature.  0 is the freezing point of water.  100
is the boiling point.  40 is a hot day, -20 is pretty cold.

It is also graduated in the same scale as Kelvin, which doesn't have any
negative values (0 degrees K is absolute zero, or "the coldest anything
can be": -273 degrees C)

For all sorts of good stuff about temperature, see
http:///www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/blynds/tmp.html

...with notes on Messrs. Farenheit and Celcius (and the Centigrade scale),
and even how Mr. Farenheit calibrated his thermometers.  It's a bit more
difficult than finding the tripling point of water (the temperature at
which water can be a solid, liquid, AND gas: 0.01 degrees C)

Triumph content: my TR4's temp gauge is calibrated in degrees C.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm