Re: Metric tea and Chinese spanners (castor sugar)

To: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Subject: Re: Metric tea and Chinese spanners (castor sugar)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:34:01 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Tony Gordon

On the sugar front, my wife is very dubious as to why I wanted to know, but
as much as castor sugar isn't really available in the US, it can be made by
putting regular sugar in a blender and hitting the blend button for about 2
seconds.  Any more than that and you will have confectioners sugar!  On the
golden syrup front - use heavy corn syrup (maple syrup is too strongly
flavored).  Now with "her who shall be obeyed" wondering if I am to
foresake the garage to wreak havoc in the kitchen as well!

Tony
<

There is a supermarket in my town that specializes in foriegn foods called,
what else, Global Market.  Treacle and Golder syrup are pretty pedestrian
for them.  They carry Inca Kola, after all.  But they don't have caster
sugar for the reason you site:  It's too easy to make.  She Who Must Be
Obeyed (at this house) is going to make treacle pie for the British car
club Xmas party.  I'm taking Bass.

Dave