TR6 Frame Strengthening...

To: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Frame Strengthening...
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 15:37:01 -0500
Brian @ Power British wrote:

> It is quite common for you to not be able to open the
> doors when the car is completely up on jackstands.
> The TR-6 is a notoriously flexible chassis and even
> beautiful, unmolested chassis are subject to the same
> condition you describe.  It will go back to the way it
> was when back on the ground without any fuss.  If you
> want to close the door completely, jack up from the
> rear of the car onto the cross-tube where the stud that
> holds the spare tire comes through.  Put a piece of
> wood on the jack to avoid damaging threads on the
> stud.

Is there any way to strengthen the TR4A / TR250 / TR6 chassis so it doesn't
flex and twist as much?  And I'm speaking of procedures that are short of
welding the doors shut Dukes of Hazzard style (although I thought about
that).

In extreme cases, upon landing of a TR6 back onto earth, the chassis will
flex so much that the upper tips of the doors will get creased and banged up
(ask me how I know).

CTM Engineering in the UK < http://ctmengineering.hypermart.net/ > lists a
reinforcing kit for the chassis, but without diagrams I am wondering what
areas it applies to.

Cheers,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu