RE: TR6 Frame Strengthening...

To: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Subject: RE: TR6 Frame Strengthening...
From: Gernot von Hoegen <avac@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:42:44 +0000
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
you happen to have a drawing of that, I guess I might understand what you say
later in the day, may be just me being stupid this morning...

<britcars@powerbritish.com> =====

>Unlike the early TR-2/4 chassis, there's little you can do to the chassis of
a '6 due
>to the nature of it's design without adding significantly to it's weight.
The weak
>spot is in front of the diff, where the frame rails are only 18" or so apart.
 Forces
> [...]
also has
>more torsional strength as a result.
>
>To address the problem on the '6, I prefer to reinforce the bodyshell rather
than the
>chassis.  Looking at the bodyshell, you'll notice that the front inner fender
meets
>the top of the rocker box section for about 14" overlap that is spot welded
together
>forming a strong section that is very resistant to flexing, but looking at
the rear,
>the overlap is only about 4" (9" if you count the triangular gusset).  This
area is
>very prone to flexing and this is where extra bracing must be added.  To do
so is
>complex and really can only be done properly when the bodyshell is torn down
for
>floor/rocker replacement.  I like to section the B pillar along the seam
where the
>door seal goes and add an inner layer of 18ga. sheet that parallels the
rocker box and
>extends both forward along the rocker and up the B post about 12" in each
direction.
>The piece should also extend all the way down to the bottom seam of inner and
outer
>rocker and back to the start of the rear wheelwell.  Add a small (about
2"wide x
>8"tall) diagonal piece from the rearmost edge of the new sheet to the
backside of the
>B post leaving enough room to clear the flange on the rear fenders.  Finally,
box in
>the normal triangular gusset by adding another flat piece of 18ga. sheet as a
backer
>to close it in completely.  This gusset is normally covered by a vinyl piece
with
>cardboard glued to one side to fill in the natural hollow of the stock
gusset.  You're
>simply replacing the cardboard with welded sheet steel.  When all the plates
are
>welded in and ground smooth, you really can't tell in a finished car that any
mods
>exist unless you look inside the wheelwell and catch the small diagonal
>reinforcement.  (Which does a great deal for strength around the pillar, so I
>recommend you live with the visual cue it's there.)
>
>While this is certainly a very elaborate repair requiring a fair amount of
fabrication
>and metal finishing, you'll be delighted with how much more solid the car
feels and
>sounds going down the road.
>

>Cheers!
>
>Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
>     Power British                         Check out Power British
>   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!

  Sachverständige für das Kraftfahrzeugwesen
             Rütscher Str.22
               52072 Aachen
                 Germany
Tel. (0044) 0241/159406 Fax (0044) 0241/159972
        Mobil (0044) 0171/5283280
Website http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1048