Re: Carburettors

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>, DNygaard01@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carburettors
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 19:02:30 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> 2. replace the ZS carbies with SU HS6's. The advantage here is more
> adjustment. The drawback is you still (probably) have to rebuild them. So
> figure $150 or $200 to get a set and then $400 to rebuild them. Note:
> these bolt right on.

This is a good conversion, you will increase your power figures a bit
without any comprimise to fuel economy.  Secondly, you can carry the Twin
HS6s through on an engine of very high tune.  TR Enterprises in the UK is
selling a kit with an exhaust manifold, 'mild' cam, recurved distributor,
and of course the HS6s.  Same firm says that this uprating of components
will yield you 180 bhp at the flywheel.  http://www.trenterprises.com/

> 4. Triple Z/S or SU's - with the R Good manifold. Costs probably about
> the same as the DGV's, maybe a little less. Haven't seen any real dyno
> numbers on this setup, but it should be okay.

I've learned a bit about these in the past few days.  I will quote you
something that David Vizard wrote in one of his tuning manuals, although it
refers to the 1600 and 2000 cc versions of the engine because of the date of
publication.

    "The next stage of carburation improvement is to fit triple S.U.'s which
are available through V.W. Derrington.  These give vastly improved breathing
over the Solxe carbs and are distinctly better than the twin Strombergs,
not, might I add, through any deficiencies with the Stromberg carb., but
from the fact that three S.U.'s are better than two Strombergs.
    By using triple S.U.'s instead of standard set-up on carburated 1600 and
2000 engines, we can expect a power increase of 15%-20%.  As is usual with a
good S.U. set-up, the fuel consumption does not go up out of all proportion
when compared to the power gained.  In fact, driven at normal road speeds,
triple carbs seem to give better consumption figures than an engine on
standard carbs."

> 5. Weber DCOE 40's... oooooh, aaahhhh... BIG $$$. The $1900 purchase
> cost is just the tip of the iceberg. Figure another $500 _MIN_ to tune 'em
> up. Figure the costs in to re-jet ala the DGV's except instead of two
> thingies you have to buy six... so figure roughly 3X the cost of the DGV
> install.  Don't listen to the folks that tell you DCOE's are too much
carb.
> They are WRONG. They'll work just fine on a stock engine.

Have the price of the weber kits gone up?  I seem to recall them being more
around the $1300 figure!  Remember, there is nothing wrong with buying used
Weber carburettors... much of the wear problems we have with Strombergs and
S.U.'s are not common in Webers.  Often triple 40 DCOEs or 42 DCOEs (slight
power advantage) will sell for >$600 on eBay, used.

> If you're just driving around town, I'd opt for one or two, with a leaning
> towards two just 'cause I like to tinker. I will point out that K. Kastner
> and Co. was able to coax over 160 HP out of a TR6 motor with the ZS
> carbs... how much power you lookin' to make??

I'd opt for the triplets.  Triple S.U.'s intrigue me :-)  As do triple
Strombergs, but not as much.

--
KMR -- http://www.pil.net/~felix