RE: Carburettors

To: Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu
Subject: RE: Carburettors
From: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:15:39 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
One thing I've always been curious about - with all the effort to get more
air into a 2.5 TR6 engine, how did Jaguar ever manage to get their 4.2
Series II E-type to breathe with twin 175 CD2 Zeniths (compared to the
triple HD8 SU's of the 3.8)? - REMOVE the needles? I know the performance
wasn't the same, but not by a whole lot. Just curious, but there must be an
easier, cheaper way to get some oomph out of the standard iron lump than
'bigger this' or 'triple that'. Has anyone fiddled with different needles?
How 'bout a mild regrind and a few thou off the head (converting to no-lead
while the head is off, since you're in there already)? Cheers, JD