Re: Carburettors

To: Day.John@fin.gc.ca
Subject: Re: Carburettors
From: Jim Davis <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 22:35:46 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John,
        You've just hit on the reason many enthusiasts prefer SU's to Z-S's:
the availability of needles. Both carbs work on the same principal, and
perform equally well. There are just more needles available more cheaply
for SU's than Z-S's. I use Z-S B1E needles on CF38690 from a 68 4.2
liter Jag E type. Got them from Joe Curto (sp) on his recommendation.
        There is a reprint in the book, Triumph TR6 Gold Portfolio, of an
article that ran in the May '73 Motor Trend titled "Triumph on the
Dyno". It describes how a company in Los Angeles, Geraghty Automotive,
recurved the distributor and turned the needles in a lathe using trial
and error to increase the HP at the wheel from 50 to 70 at 5000 rpm on
an otherwise stock TR6. That's a 40% increase! Somewhat surprisingly, CO
and hydrocarbon emissions where reduced at idle and CO was reduced 25%
under load. Geraghty offered a kit of weaker advance springs and custom
profiled needles for $25.00. Any left coasters here of this Garage? The
location is listed as 4062 Verdugo Rd.
        The above mentioned TR6 Gold Portfolio is interesting and informative
reading, giving insight into what contemporary writers thought about the
TR6. A warning: most weren't impressed.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO