Re: TR4 driving lights

To: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 driving lights
From: Dianne and Peter Fullam <dfullam@albany.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 13:40:41 -0500
Cc: John Day <Day.John@fin.gc.ca>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi James

I had the same problem installing driving lights on my TR4 back in 1964.
Badge bars weren't very common on TR4s back then, either. I had a pair of
Lucas SLR 576s, which require a flat area about 1.5" across for mounting. I
ended up drilling the inside faces of the bumper guards and mounting the
lights sideways. I had to rotate the bulb shields 90 deg. to keep them
horizontal. The lights are a few inches lower than they would be on a bar.
They do not extend above the edge of the bonnet like the ones shown in
Piggot's book. The SLR 576s have deeper buckets tha most lights, and would
have had an interference problem when the bonnet was raised.

The wire leads come out inside the bumper guards and go back to the engine
room via the guard braces. I used a double pole relay so that each light has
its own set of contacts. The coil lead comes off of the high beam supply
thru an on-off toggle switch. There's an inline fuse on the hot side of the
relay. Everything still works after 35 years.

Cheers,

Pete Fullam
63 TR4 CT19207L
Original owner