Re: Auto Transport Suggestions Needed

To: "Hansen, Hans C, III (Red), GLSVC" <rhansen@att.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Auto Transport Suggestions Needed
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 07:40:06 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Red,

Congratulations.  I'm in the same boat you're in...  I just bought a '68
Spitfire Mk3 from eBay and I'm awaiting transport of my vehicle (also
without a top, but with a roll bar that makes putting a tonneau on it
impossible).  Fortunately, I'm moving it from a suburb of Fresno, CA to San
Diego, CA.  Wouldn't you know it, today it's actually raining -- and you
know what they say about rain in Southern California.

I've contracted with A AAAdvantage Auto Transport.  They seemed to have all
the right answers to my questions. They make sure that ALL convertibles are
top-loaded (to prevent fluid leaks from other cars above yours), strap down
the tires and don't chain the undercarriage, use their own fleet of trucks
and drivers, and carry full primary insurance, door-to-door.

My only complaint (amnd it's a significant one) is that I faxed in the
paperwork (which required a $200 deposit) last Monday late afternoon.  Here
it is, Friday and as of yesterday, they still didn't have a pickup window
scheduled.  They said that the scheduling can take up to seven days (they
left this out of our conversation when I was booking the job), then a
three-day window to pick up the car.  However, after calling about seven
different carriers, their prices were the best and their insurance coverage
was great, also.

In a way, the pickup delay (although frustrating for obvious reasons) might
work to my advantage:  I don't expect the rain to last very long.  With any
luck, I'll miss it all together.  Another company I felt very good about was
Intercity Lines -- again -- primary insurance, their fleet and drivers,
etc., but they actually carefully wrap the car and deliver it in an enclosed
carrier. I was quoted $1,000 for a run from Tulsa, OK to San Diego (that was
another potential purchase that fell through). For a concourse car, those
guys would be the way to go, for sure.  Another thing I liked about
Intercity is that they don't charge you a dime up front. You just pay the
driver with cash, credit card -- even a personal check.  THAT'S very rare to
find in the auto transport business.

In the meantime, I've asked the former owner to cover the seats and dash
with plastic garbage bags for the trip down here -- and hope there's no rain
enroute.  Even if it does rain, I'm not overly concerned since I'll be
ripping out the carpets and either refinishing or replacing the dash wood,
anyway.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck!

Jeff
'68 Spifire Mk3 (if it ever gets here).