Overdrive on 2nd Gear

To: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Subject: Overdrive on 2nd Gear
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:35:20 -0500
Cc: "'List, Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Davies William-qswi646
>Listers,
        I am currently involved in building a lightweight overdrive gearbox
based on the early Herald/Standard 10 all-alloy casing. The 948 gearset has
a wide gap between 2nd and 3rd gear, but in other respects is ideal,
allowing us to fit a higher ratio final drive without losing flexibility
lower down. Is there any way we can use the overdrive (D-type) on 2nd gear?
<

I don't know nuthin' 'bout the D type but I have a J type on my TR6 and I
initially had it set up for operation on 2nd gear and it worked fine. As
you may recall the J type O/D's were set up for operation on 3rd and 4th
only.  One theory is that the J type has lower torque capabilities and was
thus limited to the top two gears. I did not notice any sliping but then I
have the "wimpy US Spec" engine.   It was, however, redundant with 3rd
direct and a waste of time in my opinion so I disconnected it.  In your
case it may be just the thing to "mind the gap!"

Dave