TR-3A Motor Mounts

To: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>
Subject: TR-3A Motor Mounts
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:12:20 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Bill Brewer"
>     Also, the mechanic that installed the transmission said that it would
be an "A-type". The overdrive only works in 3rd & 4th which tells me it
might be a "J-type". I thought that A-types worked in 2nd, 3rd & 4th. How
do
you tell the difference visually? Any thoughts on the matter?

     Bill Brewer, Tehachapi, CA
<

Whether the OD works in 3rd and 4th or 2nd, 3rd and 4th is a function of
the switches mounted on the transmission cover which are not a part of the
overdrive.  It is possible that the 2nd gear switch is there but not wired
up or that it is there but not adjusted correctly, or it is there but
broken, or that it is not there because your cover came from a late model
TR6(not really likely).

Putting a J type OD in a TR3 would be a real chore.  I put a J type in a 71
TR6 and it was a rig job all the way ( I now have a 73 frame and it fits
just fine, thank you).

Anyway, I wouldn't sweat it if it works fine otherwise.

Dave

P.S. The better is the enemy of the good.