Re: Engine Startup

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Startup
From: Aribert_Neumann@magna.on.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:56:51 -0500

I would like to add a couple of things to Dave Massey's list (response to
Jonathan Beaudoin's original question) for starting up a motor that has been
unused for many years.

 First I would suggest removing the plugs and putting a very small ammount of
light wt oil ( kerosene, diesel, ATF, liquid WD40, etc.) into each cylinder and
turning the engine over by hand to gently scrape off any accumulated rust on the
cylinder walls.   Note:  limit the volume of oil to prevent hydraulic lock when
the plugs are reinstalled and the application of the oil will by definition
create a significant oil cloud for the first few minutes when the engine is
running.

After cranking the engine to build up oil pressure, reattach the coil wires and
check for spark at the plugs.

Fuel in the lines or carbs may have jelled (personal experience).  I use an
electric fuel pump and a portable gas can to supply fuel to the carbs when
starting up a barn/pasture queen.  You may need to dismantle the carbs to
unstick the needle valves.  If the carb pistons are sticking, you can squirt
WD40 in thru the carb air intake and cycle the piston up and down.

I tend to be a bit impatient and when I am ready for the engine to fire, I
expect it to do so immediately - therefore I frequently use a shot of ether
(after all, there is a coating of oil in the combustion chamber so lack of
lubrication is not an issue).