Re: How do I get the oil pressure up before starting a newly rebuilt TR6

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How do I get the oil pressure up before starting a newly rebuilt TR6?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:38:48 -0500
RALPH JANNELLI wrote:

> Actually a better way is to remove the distributor and the distributor drive
> gear, then using a flat blade in a drill engage the oil pump shaft and spin
> away. This will pressurize everything without scuffing caused by moving the
> dry metal on metal.
>
> Ralph

It is very easy to fasion an oil pump primer for use in your electric drill.
On the
TR-6/GT-6, you'll need an 8" piece of 1/2" dia. rod.  on one end,
cut/grind/file/mill
a female slot 3/16" wide by 5/16" deep.  Attach to your REVERSIBLE electric
drill,
pull the distributor and drive gear just before ready to fire the motor, insert
tool
to engage oil pump shaft and spin drill in reverse until you get 50lbs.
pressure on
the gauge.  Immediately pop dist. back in and fire the engine.  The filter and
all the
galleries will be full of oil without having to spin the new engine 'dry'.  Vary
engine RPM from 1500 to 2500 for 20 minutes to vary the internal pattern as oil
is
thrown off reciprocating components insuring good splash to the cam lobes while
breaking in.

If you are lucky enough to own a TR-3/4 or Spitfire, the slot is reversed at
the oil
pump end and you can acutally buy such a tool almost right off the shelf.  Go
to your
local speed shop and ask for an oil pump primer for a small block chevy.  Look
at the
piece before you buy it.  It will be similar to what I've described above, but
will
have the male part of the slot on one end.  This will be shielded by a collar,
which
is usually secured to the shaft with a roll pin - don't buy the tool unless it
has the
roll pin securing the collar - pressed on collars won't work for you.  You'll
need to
drive out the roll pin and remove the collar once you get home, but otherwise,
this
tool will drop right in and work fine for the Spit and big 4cyl TR's.  Again,
be sure
to run the drill in reverse to get pressure.

--
Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars