Re: How do I get the oil pressure up before starting a newly rebuilt TR6

To: "Doug Heiser" <dheiser@mail.com>
Subject: Re: How do I get the oil pressure up before starting a newly rebuilt TR6?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:19:06 -0500
Cc: "Ronald A. Dowty" <rdowty@jspp.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Doug Heiser"

I got this tip from a neighbor (hot-rodder) a few years ago.  I have not
tried it on an LBC, so I cannot verify its usefulness.

He would remove the distributor and attach an electric drill to the oil
pump
shaft to build up iol pressure BEFORE ever turning the engine over.  He
swore by this method, but YMMV.

Doug Heiser
<

This works on domestic V8's (and thus, the TR8) since the distributor drive
gear also deives the oil pump.  The typical LBC engine, however, has a
separate drive gear for the oil pump which makes this not possible.  This
is true for the SC engine (spit, hearold, vittess, TR6 and others in this
series.  It is probably also true for the vangard engine (TR2-4) but I've
never been that far into one - they're just too reliable, I guess. ;-)

Would be neat, however.

Dave