Oil filters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil filters
From: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 07:59:16 -0500
Since a couple of folks have asked I'll share my story about oil filters.

A few years ago I had a small restoration shop, working on mostly MGB's and
keeping my own cars running.
I had been a Fram user since my hot rod days (still had the Fram window
sticker on my old Falcon Sprint), so I used Fram filters exclusively. In
fact I even used one on my Ferrari 308GTSi (no, don't have that one
anymore, wish I did.)

One day we were working on an MGB that we had just done a complete engine
rebuild on. I started it up for the first time and I watched to ensure that
the oil pressure came up to the proper level. When first starting the car
with no oil in the filter it takes 10-15 seconds to get pressure. As
expected it came up properly and I shut down the car to check everything
out. Upon restarting the car I watched the oil pressure again expecting a
quick rise in pressure. Instead it took 10-15 seconds again. This is not
right. With the filter full of oil you should have pressure almost
immediately.

I checked everywhere for leaks, loose oil connections or any other source
of the problem. Finally I replaced the filter and when I restarted the car
the oil pressure came up immediately after the first start. Closer
inspection of the filter (I took it apart) showed that the rubber drainback
gasket had separated from the filter and oil was allowed to drain back into
the crankcase when pressure dropped. I chalked it up to a fluke.

Coiuple of days later a customer drove up with an MGB with low oil
pressure, down to about 30 lbs instead of the 50 it should run. We had done
an engine rebuild on his car only a few months earlier and it should have
still been a good tight engine. Starting the car I saw that the oil
pressure came up very slowly. Opening the hood I saw the bright orange Fram
filter and I pulled it off. In this case the oil drainback had come loose
completely and it had been sucked into the oil return holes, blocking about
50% of the flow. New filter, no more problems.

I had about half a case of new filters and upon inspection I found that
they were ALL defective. Thinking that I had found something that Fram
would be very concerned about I called the company. Yes, they were aware of
the problem. Were they concerned? Not really. They said that there had been
a problem with the type of adhesive used and that it had been corrected.
(This was in conflict with my findings when I took a filter apart and found
no adhesive on the drainback at all.)

Was there a recall? "No, but if you take your unused filters back they will
probably give you a replacement." Would they stand behind engine damage?
"Well, if you have everything documented and can prove that the filter was
the only cause of failure, maybe." All in all not very concerned.

And that's why I will never use another Fram oil filter.

Dick Dell
Raleigh NC