TR3A Front End

To: triumps <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Front End
From: "Moody, Mark" <Mark.Moody@burke.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:26:45 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
It's winter in Colorado so I figure it might be a good time to rebuild the
front end on "Stewart Little" , a 59 TR3A.  He's  only got 36K after 40
years, but I have heard that the front end  was only good for about 35K when
it was new, so now is the time. Besides it makes wired noises and is
starting to hang a little low on one side.

Aside from reading the normally wonderful ( but in this case frightful)
manual, is there any place to get good advice on replacing the bushings etc>
Is it tough to do?  Should I expect every nut I touch to crack in two, or
three?   What am I looking at here.  The manual makes it sound like I need
to take "everything apart" to replace the incidental worn bushings.  I guess
I live in fear of finding a damaged or damaging the shock towers or
something as it all turns to rust crust in my hands.  Should I be looking at
replacing everything?  Note, this is a "basic driver"  that lives on a dirt
road and has a few holes in the frame.  Beautiful, but no beauty contest
queen.

Is there anyone out there who can lend me moral as well as experienced
advice on whether or not this is a fun winter project.  Note, my garage is
not heated!

Thanks much. Mark Moody