Re: TR3A Front End

To: "Moody, Mark" <Mark.Moody@burke.com>
Subject: Re: TR3A Front End
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 02:29:37 -0800
Cc: triumps <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Moody, Mark wrote:

> It's winter in Colorado so I figure it might be a good time to rebuild the
> front end on "Stewart Little" , a 59 TR3A.  He's  only got 36K after 40
> years, but I have heard that the front end  was only good for about 35K when
> it was new, so now is the time. Besides it makes wired noises and is
> starting to hang a little low on one side.
>
> Aside from reading the normally wonderful ( but in this case frightful)
> manual, is there any place to get good advice on replacing the bushings etc>
> Is it tough to do?  Should I expect every nut I touch to crack in two, or
> three?   What am I looking at here.  The manual makes it sound like I need
> to take "everything apart" to replace the incidental worn bushings.  I guess
> I live in fear of finding a damaged or damaging the shock towers or
> something as it all turns to rust crust in my hands.  Should I be looking at
> replacing everything?  Note, this is a "basic driver"  that lives on a dirt
> road and has a few holes in the frame.  Beautiful, but no beauty contest
> queen.
>
> Is there anyone out there who can lend me moral as well as experienced
> advice on whether or not this is a fun winter project.  Note, my garage is
> not heated!
>
> Thanks much. Mark Moody

Mark, you've gotten some great advice from others on the list! I have
only two things to add... powerwash the whole area to get the gunk off
as much as possible before you start taking things apart and then do one
side at a time, that way you can always refer to the other to see how it
all goes back together.

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.