Re: TR3 VALVE TROUBLES

To: "Robert Burnett" <tsrb@QuixNet.net>, " TR list" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 VALVE TROUBLES
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 00 06:39:52 -0700
>For the second time in two months my tr3 has swallowed an intake valve.
>First it was number 3 cyl. this time its the 4th cyl.  The engine was
>rebuilt in 1987 and has less than 1 hour on it.

Ummm let me guess.  The head was rebuilt for unleaded and had bronze
valve guides inserted?

If yes, the bronze valve guides are too tight and when they expand they
are siezing the valve.

Bronze expands more than steel so the factory clearences for valve guides
are too narrow for bronze guides.  They should be reemed out a tad.  I
don't know the dimension but I bet someone on the list does.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html