Re: Cooler weather choke issue

Subject: Re: Cooler weather choke issue
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:13:06 -0600
DShoop7572@aol.com wrote:

>     My TR4a runs good when engine reaches what appears to be about an 1/8
> inch from red line on temp gauge. Now that the weather is much colder, the
> temp never gets to that point and I am continually adjusting choke knob. What
> is the solution to this?????
> Why does the car run smooth at a hot temp????

I have an early TR4 and no red line on my temp gauge. But if your gauge
reads correctly, then what is your engine temp at near red line? Mine reads
250 at the top end. If you're reading near 250 when your car runs good,
then my hunch is your gauge or temp sender is wrong. If your car regularly
runs at right-next-to-dangerously high levels, then I'd expect you'd have
other problems to report soon.

Anyway, test your gauge [how?], check or replace your temp sender, and
replace/test the 'stat. I ran a "summer" 'stat on my 2002, since I mostly drove
it during the summer. I wanted it to open at a lower temp. But the winters I
did drive it, I had to put in a hotter stat -- opened at 185 instead of 170 I
think -- because it would get too cool coming down over the continental
divide from ski trips. Um, anyway, I don't really know the answer I guess,
but I'm pretty sure the choke isn't the *right* answer. <g>

Finally, my TR4 runs fine in colder weather, but the "new" truck's heated
seats seem to be winning out so far. Luckily, the last couple weeks
featured cold *and* rain, so I didn't have to feel as guilty as I would on
a cold *sunny* day. ;-)

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO