Re: Cooler weather choke issue

Subject: Re: Cooler weather choke issue
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:36:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave :

Put in a working thermostat (I prefer a 180 degree version, like the
RobertShaw 330-180, but a 165 will do), and then adjust the mixture on
your carbs with the engine warmed until the thermostat just opens.
Since your gauge may not be accurate, feel the bottom of the radiator to
tell when the Tstat opens.  It should stay quite cool until then, and
fairly suddenly get warm.  Note the gauge reading for future reference.

The mixture gets richer as the engine (and underhood) temperature rises,
so my guess is that your carbs are set a bit lean, possibly to
compensate for your apparent overheating problem.  Likely someone has
also removed the Tstat, for the same reason.

Of course, there could be other reasons (like a marginal ignition
system) that the engine likes the mixture a bit rich, but you can work
on those _after_ you get it to run smooth with the choke off.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver