Re: Cooler weather choke issue

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Cooler weather choke issue
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 19:49:37 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Randall Young wrote:
> Of course, there could be other reasons (like a marginal ignition
> system) that the engine likes the mixture a bit rich, but you can work
> on those _after_ you get it to run smooth with the choke off.

  With respect, you should always fix your ignition system
(and set your valves) before attempting to tune your carburation.

  Tuning has so many variables, it is important that the
independent variables are controlled first. Since valves
are set with gauges and timing is set with geometry, you
can be sure they are correct.

  ...no point setting your carbs to run "best" with poor
ignition, then fixing your ignition, because then your carbs
are off. If you set the ignition first, it's always right even
if it actually makes your car run worse temporarily before
you get around to the carbs.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca