Re: Cooler weather choke issue

To: DShoop7572@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooler weather choke issue
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 19:17:59 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/2000 3:04:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
DShoop7572@aol.com writes:

<< y TR4a runs good when engine reaches what appears to be about an 1/8
 inch from red line on temp gauge. Now that the weather is much colder, the
 temp never gets to that point and I am continually adjusting choke knob.
What
 is the solution to this?????
 Why does the car run smooth at a hot temp????

#1. calibrate your heat gauge.  Be nice to know the actual temperature at
"red line" on your gauge.  Using a very thin (pencil lead width or so) piece
of tape you can also mark 180 on the glass of your gauge, which is probably
the best running temp.  I've found that a kitchen candy thermometer works
well to measure the temp.   Get one at your grocery store. You can get a
pretty good estimate of the running temp by letting the car get up to temp
then measuring at the radiator.  Just to be safe, run it up to temp standing
with the rad cap off. There will be variation from different parts of the
cooling system, but not so great as to cause a problem in the measurement if
you let the temp level off before you check it.

#2 If you are running that much cooler with the cooler weather and not
running well, I'd check the thermostat.  Sounds like the engine is not
getting up to optimal running temp, which could result from a T stat opening
too soon or a too cool stat in the first place.  I get 180 states at the
local Pep Boys.  Inquire if you want to know the part number, etc.

Bob Paul
Corrales NM