TR3A; Rebuilt SUs leak

To: "'Triumphs@autox.team.net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Gbouff1@aol.com'" <Gbouff1@aol.com>
Subject: TR3A; Rebuilt SUs leak
From: Erkan Hassan <ehassan@ic-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:43:01 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Gary,

I had a similar problem and there are 3 possible causes that I found out
about.

1.  The rubber washers that go above and below the arms are worn and need to
be replaced.   They are cheap and easy to fix and should be done if you
haven't already done so.

2.  The new cork seals you installed need to swell.  I was told to soak them
overnight BEFORE doing the rebuild.

3.  The cork seals with the brass washers have been installed the wrong way.

I had items 1 and 3 happen to me.  I took apart the carb, soaked the cork
overnight anyway, replaced the rubber washers, reinstalled the brass washers
the correct way and have not had a problem.

Good luck

Erkan Hassan
62 TR3B
TCF 536

I just finished my fuel lines and upon adding gas the carbs leaked from the
bottom of the linkage set up.  I installed gross jets and readadjusted the
float level to compensate for the small difference in height from the
originals.  The rebuild kit had cork seals(can this be the problem?).  I
have
tightened the large nut on the bottom to a point where the plunger just
starts to bind, this seems to slow the leak but not stop it..  The leaking
appears to be coming through the brass shaft on the bottom.  Will the cork
seals sweel up an seal over time?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Gary Bouffard
59 TR3A TS58399