Re: TR3A; Rebuilt SUs leak

Subject: Re: TR3A; Rebuilt SUs leak
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:49:21 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary :

I'm concerned about your statement "I tightened the large nut ... to ...
where the plunger starts to bind".  I'm not sure if you're talking about
the mixture nut (which is a little under 5/8" across the flats) or the
jet locking nut (little over
13/16"), but neither one should affect how easily "the plunger" moves.
Sounds to me like you've got something installed wrong ...

The two most common leakage points are the rubber float bowl mounting
points, and the (cork or O-ring) jet seals.  Either one can cause gas to
run down the linkage but usually the bowl seals will also cause it to
drip from the bowl attachment bolt/nut.  I don't believe the cork seals
will swell, and in any case they don't last very long if you use the
choke frequently.  Be sure that the spring that applies pressure to the
jet seals is in good shape (don't try to stretch it, replace if there's
any question) and that the cup washers are present and turned the right
direction (cup towards the seal, which means top up and bottom down).

I use the choke 3-4 times/day, and the cork seals only last me 1-2
years, even after polishing the jets.  I've had a set of Moss' O-ring
seals for about 2 years now, so far they're holding up OK.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver