Re: Weber fires are REAl

To: turner@turner.se, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber fires are REAl
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:00:50 -0700
>Hi guys,
>
>I haven't been able to bring myself to write about this yet, but after
>completing a four-year, no-expense-spared ($30,000) resto on my '74 TR6
>on 29 September, the mutha caught fire on 30 September, totalling the
>engine compartment.

Adam,

Man-o-man -- I have a 74 TR (lusting for a DCOE setup), and
really cannot offer any helpful information to you, but I just
had to say how sorry I am to hear this happening.

I spent an entire winter in Michigan outdoors under a carport
rebuilding a Fiat 128 Spider back in the 70's.  Put it back
together, drove it about two days when I loaned it to my
girlfriend to use while I was working.

That Fiat had a DOHC head with a deep well between the cams where
the spark plugs reside -- the "well" probably was deep enough to
contain 1/2 gal of gasoline.  Take an electric fuel pump, a loose
bronze bushing where the fuel inlet pressed into the carb (I knew
it was a little loose, but thought I pushed it in "hard enough"
to hold it until the new part came in) -- it burned to the ground
melting the tires right off the rims while sitting in a gas
station where my girlfriend pulled in to see why it was
missing....

It was a few feet from the gas pump when it went up.  I was not
there to see it burn, fortunately, but I was told later it caused
quite an excitement at the gas station, as you could well
imagine.

I know the feeling, Adam, hang in there -- these things do
happen, and sadly, usually only after the very finest efforts
were put into the project.

regards,

doug