Re: Weber fires are REAL

To: "Adam Turner" <turner@turner.se>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber fires are REAL
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 00 08:12:49 -0700
>I haven't been able to bring myself to write about this yet, but after
>completing a four-year, no-expense-spared ($30,000) resto on my '74 TR6
>on 29 September, the mutha caught fire on 30 September, totalling the
>engine compartment.

Total and complete bummer.  It is indeed a sad story.  I hope you had a
fire extinguisher on board.

>The car is (was?) fitted with triple 40DCOEs and no heat shield, and I
>had the tell-tale dampness in the air filters but thought that they'd
>maybe beeen impregnated from the factory (you know how it is when you
>want to go out and play with your new toy).

Most DCOE spitting on new applications can be traced to the ignition not
being advanced enough.  A fully mechanical ignition system needs more
initial advance than a vacume +mechanical advance system.  In the four
cylinder TRs this seems to mean 10 to 12 degrees initial advance.

Also if your fuel pressure is too high you can easily overwhelm the
floats and dump too much fuel into the carbs.  DCOEs like 2.5 lbs
pressure max.

You want to set your float level to the proper height for your carb as
well.

DCOEs require air horns of some kind to get proper air flow into the
throats.

Your fuel out the front could be caused by any number of things or
multiple things at  one time.  My first guess is that you set the initial
timing per the TR book for a stock engine and maybe had at least one
other factor involved.

>Anyway, I'm sure you'll understand how interested I am in finding a
>solution to this one.

Total bummer.  Having gone through a complete rebuild myself I
sympathize.  On the other hand, maybe your story  will convince me to get
around to plumbing the tubing for my in the box halon system.

Take care, rest until you can face your engine bay again the get back to
work.

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.