Re: Halogen panel lights

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Halogen panel lights
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:38:46 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I must say John, that on my '67 Spitfire (with no rheostat), the instrument
lighting is still rather dim. I disassembled and cleaned the gauges and
replaced all the old bulbs with new.  It's certainly readable in the dark,
but about half as bright as I would prefer it to be.  I recall my first
Spitfire (also a '67) suffering from the same lack of illumination.

I'm beginning to think that a fibre-optic approach might be interesting.
One bright bulb could then evenly light all four gauges.  Of course, this is
all just idle talk at this point since I rarely drive my car after
nightfall.   I'm also not so sure that I would consider the installation of
a different bulb type as quite the radical notion...

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 frame-off resto project
Visit The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- moderated, focused, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!