Re: What happens if ...

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: What happens if ...
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 07:47:34 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "John Macartney"
>While the sports cars were the only vehicles the North American market
imported in any volume, both Mark's work and Jeff's new initiative have
(perhaps without fully appreciating what has happened) almost entirely
isolated
the better part of 60% of Standard Triumph's other production output of
Heralds,
Vitesses, Stags, big saloons and the later smaller saloons of 1300fwd,
1500fwd
and rwd, Toledo and Dolomite.

<snip>
I'd err towards Mark's efforts for the simple fact that web surfing time in
the UK
and many other countries too) is chargeable on a phone bill - even if it is
at a
local rate. Frankly, I'm less than willing to *pay* to read yet more stuff
limited to
just TR's, Spitfires and GT6's. The nub of the issue is that Standard
Triumph
made many other models that were just as entertaining but these hardly get
look-in within the present structure. I don't mind paying for a few seconds
of
digest download and I'd positively leap for joy if a whole lot of other
Triumphs
featured in the same list.<

John,

You forgot to mention the commonality between the various models and how
the "sports" models were developed on the coat tails of the saloons using
their engines, suspensions and many other components.  Without this coat
tail approach the sports cars would have been prohibitively expensive.

I agree with you and would love to see just how broadly the semi-trailing
arm, independent rear suspension system used by the TR4A-TR6 (and
originally developed for another car altogether) was used.  Or the minor
differences in the Vangard engine as applied to the TR3 vs. the Vangard vs.
the Ferguson tractor.

But then, that's just my opinon and I am only one of the one and a half
thousand or so subscribers to this list.  Let's hear from some more.

Dave Massey