(Forgotten what it was)

To: "Mark the Shark" <markie@gte.net>
Subject: (Forgotten what it was)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:46:49 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark wrote:

Let's not forget that the "Leyland inspired" Wedges were the only TR's that
were designed in-house since the earlier TR's (including the Stag) were
designed by Michelotti and Karmann.  So the Wedge is the only REAL
Triumph....Okay, so my TR8 has a Rover engine...but what an engine.

If in-house means at Coventry, I respectfully beg to differ (I think). It was
after my
time, but wasn't the styling department where the wedge came about based at
"the Morris"
in Oxford before moving to Coventry? And wasn't the 'last Triumph' - a Honda
Ballade
called Acclaim made at the Morris in Oxford as well? And wasn't the Rover engine
originally from Buick? And did Michelotti or Karmann really have anything to do
with the
sidescreen TR's? Oh dear, there's been an earth tremor over here. A few
occupants rotating
in a few graves ...
Let's face it, real (4 wheel) Triumphs ceased to exist in 1939 or thereabouts -
and the
later post 1945 versions were merely rather entertaining clones that give so
many of us so
much pleasure. In that respect, they won't be any different in terms of
*originality* if
the name is resurrected yet again - but this time by BMW.
But what's in a name? It's like claiming the MGF is a development of an MG 'M'
type, or
the TR8 is a development of the straight eight Dolomite. I know which I'd
rather have and
it certainly isn't the F or the 8.

Jonmac

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook