RE: Fwd: All Triumphs Are Created Equal-Was TR7 "Design"

To: "'TeriAnn Wakeman'" <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Subject: RE: Fwd: All Triumphs Are Created Equal-Was TR7 "Design"
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:43:15 -0600
Cc: triumphlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>

TeriAnn Wakeman asks:

> How come, if a man gets "into" cars he needs another, then another and is
> never satisfied until his yard looks like a specialized wrecking yard.
> Then he starts thinking about moving to a place with a larger yard and
> outbuildings to store more.

Several explanations come to mind:

1) Analogize to the Seinfeld line about TV channel surfing: "A woman wants
to know what's on TV . . . a man wants to know what ELSE is on TV."

2) If you've been playing with cars long enough, you occasionally run across
an opportunity to buy a restorable vehicle at a "bargain" price - if you had
to, you might be able to sell it for more than you paid. In the male mind,
the purchase of that extra car is then no longer an "expense", it's now
become an "investment".

3) If a man drags another car home with him from time to time, the other
cars don't (usually) complain. If he drags another woman home with him, all
hell breaks loose. We'd like to do the latter, but it's just too much
aggravation.

> Most people I've seen with a yard full of cars have a few kinda running
> and most deteriorating like they would be abandoned on a field.

ACQUIRING a car is a productive act - you may eventually restore it, you may
be able to use some of its parts, you may be able to sell it for a profit.
DISPOSING of a worthless hulk is a dead loss and a waste of time . . .
besides, you just might be throwing away that unobtainable part you're going
to need 10 years from now.

Jim Hill
Madison WI