Re: Triumph Model Question

To: OHFASTONE@aol.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Model Question
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:43:07 EST
Yes Michael....there was (is) a TR6C motorcycle. And even more interesting
there was  a TR5, a TR6, and even a TR7. There were numerous variations
within models.
Probably the most well known Triumph motorcycle model here in the states was
and is the legendary Bonneville. Sweetness on two wheels.

The TR6C line included the TR6, TR6/B, TR6/C, TR6R, TR6SC, and the TR6SR. The
TR6C to which you refer was a "scrambler" or desert sled. Quite a successful
off-road racer. As to it's rarity I am not much of an authority but I would
suspect one in good original condition would be worth some serious coin.

If I am not mistaken the TR5 debuted in 1949. The TR6 debuted in 1956. The 6C
in 1957 and an economy model scrambler (ie no tachometer). It was a ferocious
desert racer. often modified by the owners for desert racing in the US. "It
took Triumph until 1963 to actually build a "factory" Desert Sled. This was
the limited-production, straight-piped TR6SC Trophy Special, designed JoMo
(Johnson Motors) input. A California Triumph dealer named Ted Lapadakis
converted new TR6Cs into custom, race-ready Sleds and sold them from his
showroom floor: $1,564 for the 650, and $1,430 for the 500.

So it appears, as my Bonneville and TR250 will attest, there are more than
4-wheel Triumphs! The oddity...the Triumph motorcycle is still for sale today
albeit quite different from the "original" Triumphs.

More than you ever wanted to know, right? Sorry.....both are near and dear to
MY heart!
Larry Morrison
TR250
T140V