Re: safe garage heating

To: "Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: safe garage heating
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 00:14:49 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Snavely <jays@paonline.com>
To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date: Saturday, February 03, 2001 8:38 AM
Subject: safe garage heating

>I would like to add my comments concerning safely heating garages in cold
>weather.  I do not think it is a good idea to heat an area where cars are
>being worked on with a wood/coal stove.  Any sudden spill of gasoline could
>have fatal consequences.  An earlier thread had a good point about not
being
>able to control/extinguish the heat source.  Personally, I use a kerosene
>heater, about 23,000 BTU. For a larger garage, you could use a kerosene or
>propane heater with an electric blower.  In either case, heat the area
>first, and if you plan to work on the fuel system, or are using flammable
>materials, extinguish the heater and let it cool off before starting to
>work.  This should prevent any problems.

This is why I spent the big money (about 600 bucks) for a through-the-wall
direct-vent gas heater.  The combustion air comes from outside.  The
products of combustion go outside.  Schematically, the flame is not in the
shop, but outside.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.