RE: OD Install and Gearbox

To: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: OD Install and Gearbox
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:17:11 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Tony Thanks,

I took apart my rebuilt gearbox with 4000 miles on it yesterday in order to
swap the mainshaft and install the OD I rebuilt.  The only thing strange was
the Redline synthetic oil was black and dirty already and there was a lot dark
gray something in suspension... very fine... or maybe just dirt.   The other
thing was that the laygear would not drop and the back thrust washer would not
come out.  Really stubborn problem.  I had to heat the case with a propane
torch to get enough clearance to get the thrust washer out.  What I found was
that the roller bearing cage was protruding a little proud of the gear itself
on both ends.  The machine shop must have done this and I didn't notice.  The
ring of the bearing cage cut a groove in the thrust washer on both ends.

Although... that still doesn't explain why the laygear would not drop even
with a tap with a drift.  The clearances were on spec when I installed the
laygear.

Should the oil be dirty after 4000 miles and two seasons? The gearbox was
hospital clean when assembled. Any insight would be helpful.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com