Re: OD Install and Gearbox

To: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: Re: OD Install and Gearbox
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:41:58 -0500
Cc: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Brian,

I just finishing dismantling a old TR4 transmission for parts etc. The 3rd gear
both main and countershaft was toast. I was wondering what caused this trans to
self destruct. I think my answer was the same protruding roller bearing cage had
worked itself into the thrust washer and thus not giving enough "float" to
remove
the countershaft assembly. Since the case was already cracked, I decided  to
smash
the case in order to extract the countershaft assembly. I am guessing this
caused
enough friction to cause the 3rd gear to self destruct. Only one cage had
drifted
out. This was the rear roller bearing assembly, the front seemed fine. Also the
gears on the countershaft seemed extremely tight, much different than a 3
transmission I just finished rebuilding. I am not sure on the history of this
transmission since it came as a package deal when I bought the car in 1979 but
your story leads me to believe that there is a design flaw somewhere or the cage
was just not assembled correctly. Could the dark gray gunk be aluminum shavings
from the thrust washer spinning against the trans case? I am guessing that
maybe a
new countershaft is in order here but I am no expert.

PS. The 1959 TR3A transmission I just finished rebuilding used the standard GL4
stuff and the oil was about the same color as new and this transmission had at
least 50K miles. Almost no sediment in the bottom.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V