Re: OD Install and Gearbox

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: OD Install and Gearbox
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 05:51:56 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Brian

The laygear needle bearings (Torringtons) on the TR4 were notorious for
moving on their own, out into the thrust washers. Doubt this is the work of
any machine shop. I've seen these go almost thru the washers, making
disassembly well nigh impossible. I suspect the color in the oil is bits of
ex-thrust washer & ex needle cage.
On TR6 (TR250?) models, these bearings were restrained by a circlip, in a
groove in the laygear. However, a TR6 laygear won't fit a TR4 without other
items changing also, don't recall exactly what.
I have been told that a very carefully placed weld spot on the inside of the
TR4 laygear will work to prevent the above mentioned movement. Never tried
this myself, way too chicken!

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4
69 TR6

In a message dated 2/5/01 10:21:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,