Forwarded message

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded message
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 00:42:26 -0700 (MST)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than triumphs@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Subject: ARRRRGGGHHHH! Lucas strikes again! and others...
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 18:47:32 -0500

Ok- Lucas has struck- My little 64 Herald is off line again, due to a
distributor problem. The horrible stench(and I mean stench) of plastic
death has permeated the distributor. I fired up the car today, trying to
test a fuel pump theory(more in a minute) and, after a little hard
spinning, she started- but she did not run as well as usual. After some
experimentation and searching, I discovered the little plastic piece
holding the condenser and points contact spring had melted completely,
shorting out the points horribly(ergo the plastic burning stench) and
cooking the wires leading to the condenser and coil. Is this normal? I
can only figure the points cooked and overheated during one of my test
runs, but I can find no apparent cause- I am usually very careful about
switching the ignition off when the motor is not spinning(I have worked
with points for years) So now I am going to attempt to resurrect the
Spitfire distributor I have- wish me luck!

As to the fuel pump idea, I received a regulator(Thanks to Ken Waringa!
Thank you again!) but unfortunately, it failed to reduce the fuel
pressure at all. So, having only been told the fuel pump was bad, I
decided to test the theory myself. Well, the fuel pump, when connected,
put out a higher fuel pressure, but worked correctly. Luckily the Lucas
ignition killed itself- at this point I discovered fuel coming out of
the housing! So I pulled the pump, and(guess what.) the diaphragm was
hard. Hence the higher than normal fuel pressure. And brittle- thus the
leakage. I am not sure if any got in the crankcase- all I smell is the
Marvel Mystery Oil I put in to help the oil circulate when I put fresh
oil in before starting here the first time.  Another lister is sending
along a fuel pump, so I am hoping it will work out, and I will be
withholding fuel pump experiments until it arrives.

Now, off to Pep Boys for points and a rotor for the Spitfire distributor!

Scott
64 Herald 1200 CV Lucas Victim of the day